Exterior Waterproofing Benefits
Protecting the structural integrity of the building foundation – exterior waterproofing companies near me prevents moisture from entering the building foundation, thereby providing maximum protection against moisture, which in turn improves the structural integrity of buildings. Moisture and water accumulation lead to foundation cracking, and when this happens, costly repairs are required. Waterproofing exterior walls give property owners peace of mind knowing that their buildings are protected from structural damage. Among the benefits of doing exterior room waterproofing are:
- Protecting against mold and mildew – There is nothing good about finding mold and mildew in buildings because they pose a serious health risk, causing breathing problems that can trigger asthma by making it difficult to breathe. Since mold and mildew develop in damp areas, waterproofing walls exterior ensure that the basements of homes or commercial buildings are always dry. This creates a safer and healthier environment in buildings.
- A solution that lasts a lifetime – Because of the dampness and water hazards to homes and people, there are many solutions, but they provide only temporary relief from dampness problems. However, only exterior wall waterproofing provides a permanent solution that will last a lifetime.
- Increased property values – Ask any realtor, a damp basement is considered a “red flag” because it is a sign that there may not only be plumbing problems, but also a damaged foundation. When exterior walls are waterproofed, it increases the value of the property by 10%, which positively affects potential buyers and realtors.
Why Might You Need Exterior Basement Waterproofing?
Unwanted water in our living areas can quickly become a health hazard.In short, water can cause serious problems in your basement.
Your health can be destroyed along with the foundation of your home when water seeps into your basement. Mold will grow, causing breathing problems and other autoimmune reactions.
Waterproofing your basement will help you in four ways:
- Will prevent further deterioration. If your home and foundation have already suffered damage, basement waterproofing will stop it. If you don’t have damage, basement waterproofing will prevent it.
- As a result, your home will be worth more. When you sell your home, an experienced buyer will ask what you’ve done to waterproof your basement. You can mention drain tiles, French drains, driveway drains, and anything else you’ve done. Because of this, the value of your home will increase dramatically. People prefer to buy homes that don’t need additional work. Basement waterproofing not only increases the resale value of the home but also makes the home more valuable to you.
- You’ll be able to sleep at night. When it starts to rain, you don’t have to panic imagining the walls cracking and the basement filling with water. Waterproofing your basement will bring you peace of mind.
What Are The Most Common Problems?
The waterproofing walls from outside has various potential causes, but the main ones are poor workmanship and the use of a membrane that is not fit for purpose or is not part of an entire system.
1. Problems from the upper levels
In multi-level buildings, problems associated with waterproofing failures can occur on the upper floors. On upper floors, waterproofing problems can arise from puddles of rainwater forming on the roof. Flat roofs, in particular, can collect excessive amounts of rainfall, leading to leaks and ultimately damaging the building structure. Poor workmanship on upper floors, such as faulty plumbing, can also lead to waterproofing failures.
2. Substandard waterproofing building exterior work
Poor workmanship, including improper installation techniques, can lead to problems with leaks due to waterproofing failure. Hard-to-reach areas such as balconies and windows require professional work when applying to waterproof. Poor work also includes improper product specifications when the wrong product is used; and inadequate substrate preparation, which means poor preparation before the waterproofing membrane is applied.
3. Lack of maintenance
Ongoing maintenance in the form of inspections and remediation of waterproofing deficiencies can detect problems early and avoid serious problems such as concrete cancer. Even tiny leaks and cracks should be repaired immediately, as water damage can build up faster than expected and lead to serious problems. It is also advisable to maintain existing seals on windows, doors, and wall systems. Checking balconies, roofs, windows, cracks, and leaks as soon as you discover them and taking a proactive approach to maintenance minimizes the risk of them developing into serious problems.
4. Choosing the wrong waterproofing membrane
Be sure to choose a complete waterproofing system that includes a sheet metal membrane with all the accessories. It is also important to consider how flexible the membrane is to allow for building mobility, and how resistant it is to ultraviolet light, chemicals, harsh salt air, and in the case of green spaces, root penetration.
Main Steps For Exterior Basement Waterproofing
By following the seven steps for waterproofing the outside walls you will achieve the wanted result.
1. Check your walls for imperfections
The waterproofing on the exterior wall is only the best solution if the walls become damp as a result of rainwater or moisture. Before you look for waterproofing products in stores, it’s important to address any other causes of structural dampness. This could be anything from cracks in the bricks or condensation inside the wall to a burst water pipe. Once you eliminate the problem, you can apply waterproofing as a preventative measure.
2. Clean your gutters
The problem with clogged gutters is not only that they can overflow and run down the walls; they also trap rainwater, which gradually gets absorbed into the wood of the roof or fascia boards, which can lead to a number of problems, including wood rot, leaks, and mold. You can avoid all of this and keep your home healthy by simply cleaning your gutters twice a year.
3. Choose the right waterproofing product
There are a number of waterproofing outside of your house products available today that help homeowners protect their homes from outside moisture. Here are a few products you should consider: concrete waterproofing, which is a cement-like product that bonds firmly to concrete and masonry; it can be applied to any surface, including painted walls; a silicate-based concrete sealer that reacts with masonry and concrete components to form a waterproofing coating; this sealer can only be used on unsealed/unpainted walls; waterproofing paint, which is similar to acrylic wall paint, the only difference being that it provides better waterproofing characteristics. It is very important to choose a breathable composition, which is specifically designed to allow the walls to breathe and remove moisture. Prior to painting, the product can be applied. Look at the webpage for exterior waterproofing near me.
4. Use a waterproofing additive for stucco
Stucco can help improve aesthetics, make walls stronger outside waterproofing, and protect them from moisture intrusion. Although most exterior plasters have waterproofing properties, you can eliminate water infiltration problems and prevent them from reoccurring simply by adding a waterproofing additive to the plaster.
5. Prepare your walls for waterproofing
Regardless of which product you choose for external waterproofing the walls, you first need to get your walls in good condition. This means using a quality filler to repair cracks and fill holes. Allow the putty to dry optimally before sanding. Then sand away rough, uneven areas, remove dust by cleaning the surface with water and allow the walls to dry completely to ensure good adhesion between the waterproofing agent and the substrate.
6. Apply the waterproofing agent
A roller or brush can be used to apply the waterproofing agent. If a second coat is required, allow the first coat to dry completely and then apply a second coat. Use a sufficient amount of product to create an impervious barrier against moisture penetration.
Conducting a waterproofing test is very important to evaluate the effectiveness of products used to waterproof exterior walls. This test involves spraying water on the wall surface for several hours and holding the nozzle at a 30-degree angle. Your home will only pass the test if the moisture meter shows no moisture. Waterproofing exterior walls will not only prevent serious damage, but it will also increase the value of your home.
Why Choose POM Waterproofing For Your Exterior Waterproofing Services In Toronto?
If you can leave a request for exterior waterproofing near you on our website or contact us in any convenient way. The exterior waterproofing services work with commercial organizations and ordinary citizens. Make an order and get the price list.
Our specialists in exterior waterproofing Toronto work responsibly and come to the object strictly at the agreed time. All stages of work are discussed with the client. We value our reputation and the client’s time, so we try to perform waterproofing in the shortest possible time.